Composting provides a safe and sustainable way to process and recycle green garden wastes such as grass, leaves, and tree cuttings, and household food and kitchen waste such as fruit, vegetables, bakery, dairy, fish and meat.
At all of our sites green garden wastes are processed to produce compost using the open windrow system.
Food and kitchen waste must be composted using a safe in-vessel composting system to comply with strict UK Government Animal By-Products Regulations (ABPR) – this system is currently used at Envar’s flagship site in Cambridgeshire.
Compost benefits include:
- Carbon Sequestration (helping carbon to be stored in the soil)
- Reduces reliance on peat
- Soil health optimisation
- Slow release of macro and micro-nutrients
- Improvement in soil structure and rooting potential
- Increased moisture retention and soil drainage
- Good source of organic matter, with average dry matter content of in-vessel compost 75%
Green compost produced in open windrows offers the same benefits, but is also eligible for use in organic systems, and with average dry matter content of 57%.
End users of our compost
The compost produced by Envar is used by a range of end users including:
- Soil blenders
- Commercial gardeners
- Sport & amenity sector
- Home builders